Saturday, April 2, 2011

GLADIATOR WH40K - 2011: Intro and Recaps of Game 1 to 3

Introduction

Well the start of 2011 was a blast as I once again participated in the Gladiator Cup, a 7 week series of games with oddball scenarios that would eventually lead up to the top 2 of each area battling it out in a win-all type of gaming.

As was reported before in my last year's Glad up starting here, I managed to do all right in the Southern Sector with my Green skins. With my work throwing me far north of where I lived the best place for me to get some games in was to be at the bunker.

I decided to tweak last year's list and came up with the following. Sadly I screwed up my understanding of some of my army lists as we shall see.

My list was the following:



HQ
  • Warboss "BossBeef" with shoota/skorcha. heavy armour, bosspole, cybork body
  • Big Mek "KnoWotz" - KFF, choppa, Mek Tools
ELITES
  • 10x Blood Axe Kommandos - 2x Flamer, 1 Snikrot
  • 7 Burna boyz - 3 meks with MegaBlast
TROOPS
  • 20 Shoota Boyz, w/ 2BigShootas 1 Nob with Pklaw
  • 20 Shoota Boyz, w/ 2BigShootas 1 Nob with Pklaw
  • 11 Slugga Choppa boyz w/ Nob with Big Choppa and Trukk
  • 10 Shoota Boyz w/ 1Big Shoota and Trukk
  • 13 Gretchin and 1 Slaver
FAST ATTACK
  •  1 Deftkopta with TWL rokkits and Buzzsaw
  • 1 Deftkopta with TWL rokkits and Buzzsaw
HEAVY SUPPORT
  • 2 Killer Kans with Grotzookas
  • 2 Killer Kans with Bigshootas
  • 2 Killer Kans with Bigshootas
Well I had sacrificed bodies to get Snikrot and have the Warboss join him as well to dish out some massive pain. I also decided to use the trukk boyz to be in reserve and just come in when needed (mobile reserve).
The gretchin where to act as a shield to the boyz going forward or to just look for a nice objective and hide out so as not to have wiped out my troops.( I had forgotten that the Gladiator did not have objectives other than what the scenario wanted and to just kill everything there)

After making that plan and list I realized that the Burna boyz would not have a ride. I had actually intended them to walk and just shoot there Kustom Mega Blastas at those that were getting near me. Only in Game 2 did I realize that the Kustom Mega Blasta did not have a BLAST template.. much to my horror. Oops.

Well too late to fix the lists and off we went to the different games:

Game 1 vs Ronalds IG Army.

I was fighting Ronald with his newly painted IG army. It had a squadron of Leman Russes, a squadron of Banewolves, a squadron of Valkryies and a whole lot of Grunts and missile launcher sentinels. I had won first turn and he decided to reserve everything but the leman russes.

-- the Deff Koptas were gong to go for a turn 1 assault at the Leman russ squadron  but Ronald stole initiative and moved them far away from me :(.. I lost them from the Banewolves and infantry platoons coming in from reserve-- by having lost just one more save that could have kept them alive.. sigh..

Notes: Banewolves are nasty.. moving Fast.. yet able to spew 2 flame templates.. is BAD for the army.. couldn't get near his castle of Leman Russes and Banewolf until I was sure where the rest of his army was going to come on the board from reserve.

Snikrot with the Warboss finally arrived and laid waste to the Leman Russ squadron and then got gunned down in return.. Still the units that shot em were all bunched up for shooting from the Killa Kans that were moving forward.. speaking of which.

Unit of the match would be the Grotzooka kans.. every time he had  units coming down from the Vendetta.. Id shoot the hell out of it and wipe it out. and managed to take out the Last Banewolf that was running.



Game 2: Battle with Arvin and Fifi

- Arvin made an interesting list of nothing but ard boyz, 3 Battlewagons ( with 3 meganobz. a unit of 20 boys. and one empty ) Warboss on Bike and Fiffy.. a very large mean Squigoth.

The entire middle outside of our deployment zone was considered difficult terrain.. What happened then was me inching along trying to make it to the other side while his orks in Battlewagons came running over.

Fifi was reduced to 2 wounds because of shoota and big shoota fire and killed off by assaulting kans.

The gretchin screening the Burna boyz were butchered by the orks in one BW but were immediately jumped on by the Warboss with Snikrot and friends and they then hightailed it to the enemy deployment zone.. The right flank saw the the Grotzooka kans shooting and causing casualties to the ard boyz before being jumped on by the warboss and meganob friends. My right ork mob shot then assaulted the ard boyz though wiping them out eventually

One of my deftkoptas managed to immbolize then destroy a BW with its buzzsaws before dying to dangerous terrain checks :( (the scenario had declared that everything in the middle was difficult terrain)

Managed to wipe the enemy out yet again. I was happily on a roll.. Too bad it wasn't going to last.


Game 3 Versus Jeff the Old wolf

I missed out week 3 of the scenario due to being out of town so I played two games of the week 4 scenario.. This involved the chosen HQ to be unkillable except by the other opponents unkillable HQ.

I faced off against Jeff and his drop podding wolf guard with thunderwolf support and triple runepriests. Of course let us not forget his double Long Fang units ( Heavy Bolters and Missile Launchers)

Lots of miffs happened in this game.. argh..

I managed to get first turn but rather than put both koptas on the board I left one in reserve. The scouting Deftkopta charged the not moving Rhino and did absolutely nothing to it (2 shaken results)

The warboss with snikrot and friends arrived and assaulted both Long fang squads on the 2nd turn.. they unfortunately experienced how counter assault really works with the LF squads and got butchered (should have just charged one) .. The Warboss managed to roll 3 ones on to wound with the KLAW :( The mission scenario had it that the chosen HQ can only be killed by the other chosen HQ.. so the warboss ran then went back and killed the remaining Long Fang squad.. of course he then got killed by his chosen rune priest :(

Killa kan squad assaults Thunderwolves.. he manages 2 penetrates and wrecks both :(. At least his charge resulted in me killing the thunderwolves after shooting them a bit and then taking them down through sheer wait of fire.

At least my shooting and KFF fields where on fire.. I managed to save against all Melta and missile launchers through the bubble. Those kans that did manage to get out of the bubble subsequently died by his rune priests.

Managed to kill a Rune Priest with shoota fire when it decided to go out on its own to shoot at the trukk with the Mek...

Lost an assaulting trukk mob after it assaulted (this will happen again in later games).. perhaps I really should decide to keep the klaw and not the big choppa..

I ignored the drop pods.. should have just assaulted them and got it over with.
I did manage to do a couple of denial rolls by having my boys go to ground giving me 3+ and 4+ cover save from his shooting much to his annoyance

Still the loss of the Warboss sealed the deal and it was a close lose (though still a lose) for me.

No comments: