Thursday, June 13, 2013

2013: State of the Spawning Ground Address


Wow how fast time flies. It is already the 2nd half of the year 2013 and I still have not reviewed my past years Hobby life. Let us rectify that a bit shall we. 

2012 on a personnal note went to a very big dive in the middle of the year (June to be exact) and stayed there for a while until I managed to rebound in October. As such my hobby plans ground to a halt during that time and beyond. So let us be more specific ...

Last year I made a couple of commitments (link to previous thread) So how did I fare? Let us check:



  • Complete Ork GT army (target this at 1850 points) - PASSED(sorta) 
    • Well I managed to have an Ork army in time for the GT but I cheated by using  old models in my collection to complete that 1500 required army for the 6th Ed. Still people were actually surprised that I managed to pull it off. Sooo kudos to me I guess.
  • Start Complete 2nd 40k army for 2012 ( Chaos or Space Marines) - FAIL
    • I managed to get my hands on the Chaos half of the DV but after reading I have realized that the new Chaos codex needs me to get more models that I do not want to get to make them competitive (still resisting HellDrake) This needs some serious thinking on my part if I want to go through with it. Or maybe just use the things I have
  • Compete in the 2012 GT (target this would be August) - PASSED
    • Managed to field that painted army in the 2012 GT that was done in November. 
  • Get to at least have a game of warhammer every other month - so 6 pick up games target FAIL
    • If it was not for the tournies I did not get to have a game at all. This can be rectified this year by getting more gaming time in and with Centris "just next door" to where I work I can increase my pick up games.
  • Visit Doug's rib special in April and get some loot for cheap to add to my pile of stuff that is still undone. - PASSED
    • More stuff bought from Doug
  • Reach 100 painting points FAIL
    • Made it half way with 50 painting points.
  • Do 50 posts for the year FAIL
    • only 34. oh well.
  • Do 5 Video Batreps FAIL
    • Did only 2 for the year (and I was such in a roll then) 
  • Continue scheduling Board Game Nights at home (bi-monthly) FAIL(eventually)
  • Get to play a game or two of Fantasy PASSED(sorta)
    • Was able to game with Fantasy for the JOJOCUP but my stuff still needs a lot of rehabilitation to make them good looking again. 

Miscellaneous notes:


Wait what about the other stuff that you have or want to get?
-HORDES - back burner still.. Might just give up and just sell them


  • Still undecided with these items. Guess they are on the back burner still.

-Boardgames to buy/complete collection -- I am focusing on just getting two expansions. The one from Runewars and the one for Chaos in the Old World. Anything more and it is going to hurt my finances.
  • I managed to actually get both of these expansions. Also for Runewars I was able to remove the coffin box and re-boxed it to something that would fit my closet. I have yet the new cards though. Something to do I guess.
  • Managed to sell of Starcraft + Broodwar expansion at a huge loss. Considering that a friend of mine got it though I do not mind. 
  • That does mean that I have a couple more games that I may need to sell off to start making space for my game closet (I am looking at Battle of Westeros and Android) I want to start minimizing my two player games now.
  • Managed to get Dreadball from Mantic despite me not wanting anymore 2 player only games. It is a sports game and it actually fills a niche that I do not have filled up yet. 
-Dystopian Wars - well with more players getting in to this, this may finally solve my itch for some Naval action (because there aren't enough BFG players which is a shame) I am starting to like the Federate states Navy.. but before I commit to this I need to unload some stuff to make room... and to have a model fund again.
  • I have removed myself from the bug of wanting to buy this game, saving me money (yeah) but instead getting Dreadball (hmm) 

WHAT DO I WANT TO DO THIS YEAR? (HOBBY WISE)

Well the first half of the year is gone. Me being away from the 1st quarter of the year kinda lost me some momentum. Looking for something manageable to finish. I think I am not going to make any targets for this year... except in regards to a couple of painting projects that I would like to finish.

PAINTING - I think I can get to do 100 painting points this year.. Even if half of year is over. I just need to keep chugging and finish stuff. I would like to finish the following specific models:
   - Corporation Team - finish this so me and my wife can finally have a game. 
   - Killer Kan -- I forgot to paint him with the other two Kans.. I want to finish this model already
   - Warboss on Bike - Just for me to be able to start doing the other kans
   - Dakkajet - Finish the Orange Color already

The rest -- well whatever I fancy finishing I guess. 

INVENTORY - Again something that I need to finish. I need to re-inventory the stuff that I have and to consolidate the stuff into one place (at least on a per army basis) 
   - Space Marines - I actually have a lot of SM stuff.. They are just scattered about willy nilly
   - Chaos SM - despite my desire NOT to get a Helldrake I still want to do a CSM army.
   - Imperial Guard - yes I gained more stuff.. and I still don't know where all of them are.
   - Ork - they are also all over the place
   - Everblight - all in one place for this one
   - TAU.. dengit..why do I suddenly have another army?
   - Orc and Goblins. - one of these days this needs to be fixed.. hey maybe for July(???)

MODEL FUND - I need to start selling stuff off again that means posting pics and posting prices on the forums.

So not much concrete stuff to do for 2013 (this year). I am going to see if lack of planning will actually make me more productive.. (heh). 

No comments: