Wednesday, June 20, 2012

TOURNAMENT: FANTASY : War for the Lady's Favor

Well I promised I would play my OnG Fantasy Army for the jojo cup (in memory of our friend) and lo I played it regardless of me not having played any game of 8th Ed WHFB and with my army dusty and broken (improper transport results to broken choppas, arms and whatnot)  Still I had committed to play and so off I went to ETON Mall after spending the morning hours hunting down all of the models that I knew I had and would make up my army list (an army that I had just printed out the day before)

The place was spacious ( Not all of the stores have opened yet) which was perfect for gaming really. After I looked at all the beautifully painted armies, I slowly started to bring out my army (some of them in pieces) in shame. Still I remember jojo not caring about you having a painted army or whatnot as long as you had a good game and had fun.. (I kept telling that to myself all event..)


Briefing for the game


After saying hello to a bunch of players that I have not seen in a long time since the starting days of 7th ed Fantasy and meeting new folks along the way it was time to get the games going


Game 1:  Vs Bretonnians

This game was short edge deployment and getting to the middle of the board where the objective was to capture the objective in the middle and hold on to it for dear life.


Deployment

I had a very good mix of units in the Center with my goblin units guarding the flanks.. I showed the Bretonnian player to fear both my Fanatics and the amount of Artillery I threw at him. Managed to chukka fanatic or whatnot a good chunk of his support units.. 


My giant died to a Heroic Killing blow by his General.. Which I then promptly charged after. Too bad my main Orc unit could not kill the General (even though he had lost his mount via a chukka or a fanatic) else it would have been able to assault the flank of the knight unit that had the objective.. (those are the breaks ) 


Why don't you die Bretonnian General?

I had units coming up for support though. I had a chariot getting ready to charge as well as my 40 goblin spearmen alas it was not meant to be as time was called and the Brets take the cup.



So close.

Game 2: vs Orcs and Goblines

I played against the Brit guy I traded some of my stuff too and boy was I put to shame on his fully painted (though commissioned.. still painted) armyI have never seen so many trolls heading my way.. ( a horde of 18 I believe)


The Main Line
I had been confused on what Orc book I had used (used the the 7th ed one.. duh) Fortunately I had used army builder so I was still good. And the game got on.

A Blur of deployment from some guy who calls me "Big Guy" that happens to be  bigger (taller than  me)

The Brit guy was the defender for this game and all I had to do was move one unit near the taped area in the center of his deployment. I managed to control the right flank with fanatic and warmachine shots. While my left flank collapsed from the assault of 18 trolls heading my way.

Trolls can move how far again?
Still I let him keep moving the huge block of Trolls forward. Because this let me sneak my Giant and a unit of Wolf Riders around his flanks and get near the objective. He almost got the Trolls back with a good Orc spell that moved units and he managed to get back 15inches.

Fortunately for me Time was called and my Orcs won the day.


Game 3:  vs Skaven

This was a game against the new Skaven and basically I got owned by the Hell Pit Abominations as I saw exactly how effing badass they were. It was corner deployment with his Monsters on my right flank and a Doom wheel on his left


Corner Corner deployment
Me not understanding the rules on rallying and such cost me much as well as not knowing the enemy (won't happen again I swear)

Unpainted Warmachines
My warmachines proved ineffectual against the hellpit.. Missing more often than not and my Fanatics was sub par (though I was not sure about the real Toughness of the Hell Pit if it was 5 or 6..)

Hell Pit I hate you
Nevertheless I got creamed on the right flank.. and my main heavy hitter unit never even got into combat. It just kept on pivoting so as to figure out where the real action was supposed to happen. Fell for the oldest trick and became indecisive. So it was a very very bad game for me.

Two hell pits storming my lines

Still I manage to eck out a moral victory by killing the Grey Seer with a Doom Diver Catapult but that was about it.

Aftermath


So a very bad game 3 for me. So with 1 Win and 2 Losses things were not looking good for me. But a look at the score tables shows me actually making it into 2nd place.. of course 1st place was waaay ahead in points but hey.. 2nd place is 2nd place (and yes I know it also means 1st loser :P )


Conclusions
I believe my opponents and most of all me got a lot of the rules wrong. but then again that's what you get for not playing.. I had thought that the charges would take a while.. I was wrong. Combat is pretty quick and pretty decisive most of the time. 

The game is actually quicker.. which is probably why the points level got higher.. I would really like to keep playing my fantasy army really.. My first games for GW was after all WHFB but I keep hearing that 6th ed is coming and I don't want to miss that...

Hmm.. maybe with this I can finally start finishing/repairing my fantasy army.. (and start thinking of how to convert some stuff) .. will see

No comments: