Thursday, April 25, 2013

GT 2012: TOURNAMENT REPORT

Note: Talk about a very very late post.. better posted than nothing though :D 




Well with a bit of reusing some models, completing a couple and then having the wife finish of a vehicle or two I actually managed to have a fully painted 1500 army and brought it to a GT !!!. Wohoo. Finally. :D



So with the wife's permission I managed to bring the army and play it at Centris where I managed to get 5 games in with most of my games being on time :D. This was unusual because I play a horde army and yet still finished the games I had within the time limit by doing the following :

1) Reduce deployment time -- this was accomplished by ensuring that each unit was individually split from each other

2) Fewer units but Bigger unit size -- usually I would have 3 medium (20 actually per squad) mob of boyz. To minimize the time i would have to move individual squads (like figuring out where they would need to go).. I decided to just go and use Two big Units of 26 boyz each and be done with it.

3) Avoid close combat at all. Rolling for ork close combat can be both great and dissapointing at the same time. Soo much dice can be rolled with bad results. So I will only assault something if it is down to 4 models or less and I just need to finish it off. Will not go after bigger sized units and instead will just shoot shoot and shoot.




SO I went into the tournament with the following list:  

Why I brought those units that I did.

Imperial Guard
1) I needed something to disrupt the enemy.. with Snikrot losing his ability to show up and assault, the best option was to get something from the IG list. Nothing as expensive as Snikrot and gang, just enough to annoy and harass. So in came Marbo, Penal Legion and a 2 unit AC Sentinel Squadron (the sentinels were cheap and I did not have Vendettas.. so in they went)  to act as harrasment troops
2) Manticore - Heck I just wanted to try it out. This was my only way to bust open anything with AV14
3) Hydra - the reason that I wanted to be IG was to be able to at least have one of these guarding against Flyers. At only 75 points it was cheap enough that it would not be a point sink if the opponent did not have flyers. (Looking back at the games .. I guess I should have gotten a pair of them for all the good one got me)
4) Platoon CS with AC, 2 squads with AC -- Stock unit to add bodies and have some sort of firepower

Ork
1) 2 squads of 26 boys with shootas and Nob with pklaw heavy armor - Some would say that having a nob is not needed and you could save a lot of point without them. But the klaw nob is more of a deterrent against those lists that would like to go and engage the squad in close.
Still  a very good squad to soak a lot of wounds.
2) Ork Big Guns - with the changes to artillery and with average BS this should serve me well
3) Mek with KFF - still the best force multiplier for the orks
4) Dakkajet - because I really just wanted to have one.
 5) Lootas - because why not?


How did the games go:

Game 1 - Vs. Space Marine (win)




-- It was a standard game against Marines with a Librarian and ThunderHammers in a LandRaider with Thunderfire support at the back and a Storm Talon. Managed to kill of the thunderfire with Marbo again and bottled up most of his units in his deployment zone. Penal Legion managed to grab a quarter as well to give me the win.

Game 2 - Vs Chaos Daemons (win)


-- I was afraid of how the Chaos Daemons would show up in this game so I crammed everything in my deployment zone and took as much space as I can so that he would not be able to deepstrike anywhere. I shot at everything that tried to hit my lines and managed to kill the Soul Grinder with the Sentinels appearing from the back. He had the main objective in the middle (relic) and was going to win it. Fortunately my penal legion managed to hold on to his object so I was still able to pull up a win.

Game 3 - Vs Necrons (Lose)


-- Went up against Pat Chuas 4 necron flyer army. My stuff got in too early and arrived when there was njothing on his side to shoot at. So when the flyers showed up they started to make mince meat of my troops. I was almost wiped off the board except for my T7 Grots in the Big Guns unit holding out in the last turn. Well that sucked.



Game 4 - Vs Chaos IG (lose)


 -- Well I was up to the Garr man in this game. With 3 Baledrakes (and 2 Vendettas) I tried to spread my troops as much as I can to minimize the template death. Managed to take as much hits as I could and still come out swinging with Marbo and the Penal Legion attempting to wrest control of his objectve. In the end it was having my DakkaJet forget firing at the lone Chaos space marine holding the objective as well as his Lord gaining Warlord trait that gives you a VP for each character you kill in a challenge that swung the game his way. On to the next game




Game 5 - Vs Chaos (Win)


-- Final game against Kent and his Chaos SM army. Imho it was a bit thin on the troops department. Still they were a tough army to crack with Nurgle troops. Managed to take out the Predator with repeated Manticore salvo and take out the Rhino transports to force hum to walk.

Conclusions -- well this tournament was a blast. Not sure if I have the energy to do 5 games in 2 days again though (I am starting to feel old :P )Well here is to the next GT. Who knows maybe I would be able to finish my Space Marines army then :)

No comments: