Sunday, January 22, 2012

GENERAL: HOBBY CAFE - A Bygone era

 It boggles the mind to think that I have been at this hobby for almost 20 years (and still without a finished army - that will be for another post). I remember first being introduced to the game by a college mate of mine. The original Shakk boy denizen Rey Reyes (may you keep rolling sixes in heaven dude) we had played using rogue trader back in 93. I think we were still using the Rogue Trader rulebook or something but I didn't care.

All I remember was that the orks I had were tasked with holding the bridge from the Space Marines and the Gretchin with demolition charges saved the day by having them run forward to the Marine lines and acted as suicide bombers. It took us 8 hours to finish that game and the sun was waaay up when we parted ways but it was one great game.



Fast forward to 8 years afterwards in early 98. I had money to burn and 3rd edition 40k was still incoming  and I was looking for some models to buy. Galleria was too far away for me and I heard there was a shop in Alabang Town Center. I had gone off to buy the paint set with there 5 marines. There it would sit for the next couple of months unassembled.

In 99 I was on a date when I noticed a spanking new 3rd edition of 40k . The store in ATC was gone though and it had actually relocated to Festival Mall with a new name.

Hobby Cafe....

I err actually managed to first see the store manager.. someone I knew way back in college and we started chatting. I had just started to think about changing careers and get into computer programming. I still had my last paycheck though and I wanted to at least buy one more toy before it was time eat nothing but crackers again.


She mentioned that she was moving on  and that they were looking for a Store Manager. I agreed and it what followed was a great roller coaster ride of gaming. Doing something you love and being paid while doing it all the while continuing on my studies to finally get my career in computers kick started was great and interesting..

I had a good run with Hobby Cafe. I managed to meet more of my geeky friends and host events. Thanks to the vision of my boss Jonell we managed to run 60+ Magic tournaments on a regular basis but it was the Games Workshop stuff that I was hooked on. I had made a lot of good friends there and even though my stay and the store did not last I will always remember it with fond memories. I hope to at least post some of the more memorable events and pictures here as a memorial for that old store of mine.



4 comments:

The Raipo said...

what no pics of me and Roe?? hehe >;3

Badbeef said...

Wait.. you guys went to hobby? :D
I only got old pictures of the tournaments that were played. And of course all of them are GW related :P

The Raipo said...

Dude, you hired us remember? For a time.

Badbeef said...

oh Fudge I did?

wait was this for your OJT times during the summer?
what did I have you guys do?