Wednesday, January 11, 2012

GENERAL: Here's to 2012 and a Look back at the last year aka State of the Spawning.


Well a new year is upon us and like everybody else a time for new year resolutions and for this blog, to present New Hobby Resolutions. Resolutions that we would probably be breaking anyway.. but it's going to be interesting to see how long it will last. Let's link to the resolutions from last year and see how I fared shall we:


What was 2011.

Review MODEL FUND:  F
   -- This is sadly gone. With the new baby last April expenses have been tight specially when the folks decided to come home last October. I may need to finally just give up and sell off the Hordes stuff that i do have to be able to generate some cash. For now this will remain zero.. with me trying to sneak in some buying stuff or two.

Review POSTING: C
   -- I managed to post more this year than the last couple of ones. It's still a measly number.. (27) but it is better than nothing and is higher from last 2010. It was lower than what I had targeted though (30). I had actually started to gain momentum on posting after the second half of the year when I had checked good ol Raipo's blog. That frequency of posting has me fired up  the creative juices..This may even get me to go back to my other blog sites and start it up again.. let's see

Also I had planned to have at least 2 VIDEO BAT REPS but only managed to do one because of laziness. That is sub par performance but at least I managed to get something done. So this has been so so.



Review: GAMING  D-
-- I surprisingly  got to play less games in 2011 of warhammer 40k. Looking back most of those games were from tournaments at the bunker (Gladiator, Battle Brothers, Manila Team Championships)  and no pick up gaming (gaming for fun at all)  which I attribute to my weird work location. However I had managed to get more board game time with me being able to setup a board game day at home once a month on Sundays after I managed to convince people from LB to come and visit. Still with two of those having or are starting a 40k army it may turn into Sunday 40k nights as well :)



Review :MODELLING/PAINTING  C-
-- And for the real reason I put up this blog in the first place. To monitor how I have been doing Hobby wise to this. I have managed to actually start finishing painting some boyz (40+) during the second half of the year and was starting on finishing the 2 Killa Kans before Illness got to me. I have never really set a target for how many models I should paint.. and perhaps now with me getting new paints in I can start doing that.


What to look for this 2012
 --So what are exactly my Hobby/Gaming resolutions for this year? Well let's see.

POSTING
-- I am targeting to at least make weekly posts so assuming that is the case then I want to be able to reach 50 posts for this year (wow aiming high aren't you Badbeef? What an overachiever). To get myself going I should at least have a weekly thing that I post something on that week. The best would be a WIP post. So will go for that for now and see what else I can dig up as the year continues.

Target doing 5 Video Batreps for the year as well. If I can get some pick up games this should be easy then.

MODELLING/PAINTING
-- I have replaced my paint with non GW paints to at least get out of the problem of paint drying and me procrastinating when I see nothing but dry paint. Still haven't had the heart of throwing out the paint bottles though. I actually run the risk of trying to get to coax out the paint and get discouraged about it.. Well will see.

I plan to  finish my Ork boyz army in time for the 2012 GT. Yep nothing like the mother of all Tournaments to get me going to finish something. I have no idea if they are going to switch to 6th edition for the year though. My take this would be the last tournament for 5th edition and I intend to play in it. Just as the last GT I played in was for the last GT that used 4th edition as well :P


And when 6th edition comes along this year (2012) I need to start thinking of assembling the Chaos Space Marines stuff that I do have (as it is rumored that they would have a new codex by then) The one that will seal the deal for me is if I can field an Alpha Legion army with cultists.. that would be great. Else then I might as well do some work on my MSU Crimson Fist Army.
 
I still need to motivate myself with painting all of those figures though (Painting has never been my strong suite I would rather just play)  So for this year I thought I would use  a painting point system.  I got this from lonepilgrim (who sadly does not update anymore but his blogs are still up and still awesome in my eyes) and he broke it down into a scoring system like so:

Painting points

  • Infantry = 1 point
  • Large infantry, Cavalry, bikes = 2 points
  • Monster or Dreadnought = 5 points
  • Vehicle = 10 points
  • Superheavy vehicle = 20 points
So my simple target for 2012 would be to at least get up to 100points.. that shouldn't be too hard right? Of course not....
 
GAMING


The real thing that would get me to paint is if I get the chance to play more than once in a while. Need to get as much play time when 6th edition comes so as to get how the system would work.

With the Bunker closing though and me not really interested in going to Eton for warhammer gamingon the weekendsbecause of the commute/transporting nightmare that would entail that would mean that I would be gaming either at Makati or back to Alabang for me. Honestly I haven't really checked Alabang after someone suggested I do Gladiator  somewhere else and I was all huffy and puffy about it and just walked away with hurt pride like a whining idiot.( nagtampo ako sus mababaw ako minsan hay)

Well it's been a year and I have nowhere else to play so it's me back to try to game back to the south. Hopefully they still remember me :P . At least with 6th edition it would all be a level playing field once again.

Heck at least the good thing with the south is that I can revive my Orc and Goblin Fantasy army. Now all I need to figure out is how to transport my army there.


Hobby Promises (recap)
  • Complete Ork GT army (target this at 1850 points)
  • Start Complete 2nd 40k army for 2012 ( Chaos or Space Marines)
  • Compete in the 2012 GT (target this would be August)
  • Get to at least have a game of warhammer every other month - so 6 pick up games target
  • Visit Doug's rib special in April and get some loot for cheap to add to my pile of stuff that is still undone.
  • Reach 100 painting points
  • Do 50 posts for the year
  • Do 5 Video Batreps
  • Continue scheduling Board Game Nights at home (bi-monthly) 
  • Get to play a game or two of Fantasy 

Wait what about the other stuff that you have or want to get?
-HORDES - back burner still.. Might just give up and just sell them
-Boardgames to buy/complete collection -- I am focusing on just getting two expansions. The one from Runewars and the one for Chaos in the Old World. Anything more and it is going to hurt my finances.
-Dystopian Wars - well with more players getting in to this, this may finally solve my itch for some Naval action (because there aren't enough BFG players which is a shame) I am starting to like the Federate states Navy.. but before I commit to this I need to unload some stuff to make room... and to have a model fund again.

That's it for now.. Here's to the New Year :)






1 comment:

The Raipo said...

heheh I'm also a lazy blogger y'know.

Sige, let's try more BG's and a bit more 40k this year. Hope we can get some momentum early this year. Busy pa boyz this January.